Monday, April 20, 2009

If I could change places

Sunday was a beautiful spring day. Dean was able to sit out on the back deck for a short time, but grew weak and wanted to lie down. That night he was restless and felt uncomfortable, even with frequent repositionings. Earlier we had given him a tylenol, but around midnight decided to gave him the first 'pain' medication. He isn't in pain, but says his feet feel like cement blocks. He can move his toes and rotate his ankles, but says they are numb.

After a long nights rest, we were able to get him to stand this morning but just for a minute. He woke us at 1:30a and 5:30a then he slept until I woke him at 11 as he had a visitor coming at noon. He wanted to be sitting up, so we put him in the 'Cadillac' and he sat at the table for lunch and his visit. As usual he was warn out afterwards and wanted back in bed. Later in the afternoon I was out mowing when he awoke and complained to Jonathan that his legs and feet are 'dead'. He seemed distressed about it even though he has been telling us for several days that his legs and feet are numb. Jonathan explained that hospice had given us some medication if he really felt he needed it. When I came in he asked me if we would give him something, so we decided reluctantly to do so. He said 'give me six'. Later he sort of chuckled and said "Just give me a beer."

On Friday, I mentioned to the caregiver from hospice that he had been sort of gagging even on water. She told me about 'Thick It', and explained that as the swallowing muscles weaken, all liquids should be thickened. He has no problem with drinking water or juice with this added. I am so glad I mentioned it as I hadn't been told or read this before.



Trackmeet in Stayton, Spring 2000

I had a visit with a couple precious former coworkers who brought me their love, prayers, and a wonderful basket of nice fresh fruit (thanks Gail and Lorraine).

... we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day...

2 comments:

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

Hi Jill - It is so thoughtful for you to share things you are learning through this process. Dean is very lucky to have you and Jonathan. We continue to think about your family every day. Please take care. Cynthia & Mike

VJ's Scrap Room said...

Jill..our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you and your family.
Thank you soo much for keeping us posted!

Love and hugs,
Valinda